- Homepage: maxon
- Current version: 20 from August 2018
- built in renderer for cinema4d
The renderer of cinema4d has always been a very good engine with an advanced toolset. It is fast and gives good results. Unfortunately I could not find a complete features list, so I have to guess a bit. As an alternative they offer AMD's ProRender as renderer.
They support all features of ProRender. A node based material editor is implemented.
They added substance support. New shaders like the thin film shader (for soap bubbles e.g.) have been added as well as an inverse AO (for warn edges).
Since version 15, the renderer now works with Intels Embree engine. Depth of field is not a post effect any more and is directly rendered as well as motionblur. Stereoscopic rendering features are now available as well as a sketch NPR shader.
They say: R15 is packed with rendering improvements to achieve faster, higher-quality imagery. but they mention only two points in the news list.
- Team Render allow quick rendering over the network
- A new irridiance caching algorithm increases speed for approximate AO and GI.
- They improved the calculation of indirect illumination with multiple importance sampling.
- The quality of wood textures as been improved
- Weathering effects can be done with new shaders
- Caustics are faster
- As all other renderers Maxon now introduces physically based rendering.
- Subsurface scattering has been improved. Its easier to handle and works fine with the new physically based renderer
- Sampling and antialias pattern has been improved and will give better results in less time.
- The current version 12 introduces linear workflow and color profiles, a new dynamics implementation based on the famous bullet engine.
Last update: 12.2018